Thursday, September 7, 2017

Chain Crochet – Crocheting With Chains – a Crochet Experiment

Previously published February 17, 2015, on AllCraftConnection.org
Many artistic people love to experiment, whether they paint, crochet, write, sculpt, build, or engage in any other creative endeavor. The “what if” question is what prompts inventive people to come up with new ideas. The “what if” question is what drove me to create what I am calling CHAIN CROCHET. With that thought in mind, I would like to take you through my thought processes when I created this cowl.

Finished cowl using Chain Crochet.

What if I used a Size G crochet hook to make a long chain out of a ball of yarn, I wondered, and then used the chain to crochet something using a Size N crochet hook? The process seemed as if it would work in theory, but what would result if I put it into practice?

I started with a skein of yarn that had already been partially used, so I had to find another skein of yarn that had one comparable color in it. Not knowing how much yarn I would need, I started with the smaller skein and crocheted one continuous chain, rolling the newly formed chain into a ball as I continued to chain. Knowing that the cowl would be ultra bulky, I didn’t want to crochet tightly (a SC would have made the end product stiff), so I started with a double crochet (DC) into the back loop only (BLO) and ended with a SC, skip 2 Ch, Ch 3 around the bottom edge. Crocheting into the back loop gives more flexibility to a bulky yarn.

Rolled up ball of chained yarn.

What I discovered while crocheting with a chain was that CHAIN CROCHET is no more time consuming than is any other type of crochet, simply because chaining is so quick and easy. Once the chain is created, you can use a larger hook to finish your project and the end result is a product that looks unlike anything you’ve ever created. Imagine the possibilities! I created this cowl in an afternoon (or less – I wasn’t timing myself).

If you find crochet to be relaxing and you want to see what your item will look like using the chain method, consider CHAIN CROCHET for your next project. And then show me what you’ve created! I’ll allow links to your finished items in the comments below.




No comments:

Post a Comment